Working Holiday Visa

The Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417) is for young people aged 18 to 30 years of age who are interested in funding the Australian travels for up to 12 months. If you wish to apply for the Working Holiday Visa, you must have turned 18, but not turned 31, at the time of visa application. The visa is meant to be used to supplement the cost of your holiday through short-term employment.

Subclass 417 supports people from the following countries:

  • Belgium
  • Canada
  • Republic of Cyprus
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Hong Kong
  • Republic of Ireland
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Republic of Korea
  • Malta
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Sweden
  • Taiwan
  • United Kingdom

If you are from one of the following countries you can obtain a Work and Holiday Visa (Subclass 462). See the DIAC website for more details on this

  • Bangladesh
  • Chile
  • Indonesia
  • Iran
  • Malaysia
  • Thailand
  • Turkey
  • USA

How much does the Working Holiday Visa cost?

There is a non-refundable application charge when you submit your visa application.

For the latest fees for the Working Holiday Visa see the charges online.

What does the Working Holiday Visa let me do?

If you are successful in your application for a Working Holiday Visa, you can:

  • enter Australia within 12 months of grant
  • stay up to 12 months in Australia
  • depart and re-enter Australia as often as you like, while the visa is valid
  • work in Australia for upto six months with any given employer
  • finally, study for up to four months.

If you hold a second Working Holiday visa, you may return to work for a further 6 months for an employer with whom you worked on your first Working Holiday visa

A second working holiday visa can be available for people who have been employed in a specific industry in regional Australia for a minimum of three months. Eligibility for a second year of a working holiday visa can be found at the Australian Government Department of Immigration website – Second Working Holiday Visa.

Source: | Last updated 31/12/2009