This is an experience of a lifetime to live in paradise and experience the natural beauty of a remote tropical island! You’ll be the sole chef catering for two eco lodges, preparing breakfast, picnic lunch and three courses dinner meals, between 2 and 6 guests. You’ll be based in town, with a functional domestic well-equipped kitchen.
Meals must reflect a tropical experience using as much locally grown and foraged produce as possible. During periods where we don’t have guests staying at the lodge, we would intend to keep you gainfully employed with helping maintain the lodge and simple cleaning duties. During your time off, you can explore the island’s myriad of trails, swim in crystal clear 28 degree water, fish, bike, kayak, dive, cave or snorkel, photograph the amazing bird and crab life, fall in love and with the laid back lifestyle and island living on Remote tropical island!
The contract will start early February for a minimum of 6 months, which would hopefully become longer term after that.
· We offer a salary package of $800 per week before taxes.
· One way flight Perth to Christmas Island
· Accommodation provided in a private house shared with another staff member.
· You will be allowed to cook/have for you and other staff member your meals.
What you would be doing:
The main things that you would be doing include:
· Food preparation,cooking, plating, presentation &serving.
· Engaging with the guests while serving their food.
· Menu planning for breakfast, lunch and dinners scheduled a week in advance with taking care of guests wishes and dietary requirement.
· Using as much local produce on our remote tropical island as possible.
- Cooking for between 2 and 6 guests.
- Willingness to clean and participate in maintenance duties when required.
· Sometimes pickup and welcome guests at the airport and drop off.
What we’re looking for:
We’re looking for candidates with the following attributes:
· Able to relocate to Remote Tropical Island for a minimum of 6 months
· Able to work a flexible schedule including days, evenings, weekends and public holidays.
· Food cost management.
· Experience in a similar role, creating and presenting dishes that not only taste great but look amazing too.
· Creative and passionate about food, local produce and providing high standards of food service.
· Positive attitude and ability to flexibly adapt to changes think on your feet and thrive under pressure.
· Perfect presentation, please provide a photo with your application
· Have a manual car drivers license and preference to candidates with basic 4WD driving skills will be given.
· Love and respect for nature and have a passion for conservation, sustainable tourism and interest in birds and native flora and fauna.
· Ability to work without supervision, exercising effective time management.
· Excellent interpersonal skills and a commitment to quality service.
· Be able to provide two references
When applying for the job you MUST answer these questions:
Are you legally able to work in Australia (resident or Australian citizen).
What attracts you to working at Swell Lodge and living on Christmas Island?
Can you confidently drive a manual car and do you have any 4WD’ing driving experience?
What level of personable interaction with guests have you had in your career and how would you describe the interaction?
Can you detail an example of 3 starters, 3 mains and 3 desserts you would like offering to our guests, using locally sourced products and creativity?
Please send photos of your food presentation and how you present yourself professionally.
Login or Register to Apply Online
Not already a member? Register for free and create your online resume to apply. If you are already registered or have applied for a vacancy before, you can login below.
Member since: December 2018