To Apply, tell us how you are a good fit for this opportunity :)
We are a friendly sharehouse of young professionals. We are looking for a couple to join us in our modern private bungalow for a minimum of 4 weeks, in exchange for help around the house and garden. We are open to longer stays if you have needed skills. You will enjoy staying with young Melbourne locals and sharing cultural exchange, you will help with the house and garden and we will help with local advise on jobs travel, etc.
You will work 20 hours a week each, in exchange for accommodation/board in the bungalow of our shared home, in the Eastern suburbs of Melbourne. We first experienced help exchange while travelling and enjoyed the cultural exchange, getting to know locals and helping out on interesting projects. We have been hosting in our home since 2019 and enjoy getting to know our helpers over dinner 3-5 nights a week. We will work together on projects around the property, looking at a range of projects and finding those that best fit your skills and interests.
The kinds of tasks you may work on, based on your skills and comfort, may include: – Basic garden maintenance (pulling weeds, mowing, trimming back plants.)
– Landscaping: Researching natives to plant, planning garden beds, building garden areas, etc.
– Household repairs: fixing bits and pieces around the house, repairs involving basic tools and handy skills.
– Painting internal or external of house
– This is quite extensive and we would be open to a longer stay for a couple with professional painting experience.
– Cooking meals, If agreeable we will provide groceries for 3-5 shared dinners each week, which you will prepare, some baking if you enjoy/are skilled!
– Project management, helping arrange quotes for a few projects around the house, writing shopping lists for household projects, cleaning out shed, researching plants, etc.
– Household cleaning and management, deep cleaning, and routine daily tasks, unloading dishwasher etc.
– Using youtube to research projects, helping plan which plants etc, with guidance
You will stay in our modern bungalow, In a private furnished room with Queen size bed, wardrobe space, private bathroom and kitchenette. This room has beautiful north light all day and lovely sun in the afternoon, you have a queen bed and couch, a private bathroom and a kitchenette. You will share access to the backyard, which we will be landscaping during your stay!
We are just one block from local shops where we have a large supermarket, pharmacy, post office 30+ Shops. We are walking distance to several large shopping areas and major retailers.
We are 40 minutes Public transport to Melbourne City, or 20 minutes drive.
We live in a fixer upper home in the suburbs, which we share with friends, over the years we have shared with long term housemates, AirBnb and Help exchange. We get along well with couples and like to get to know each other over meals and teamwork on projects.
We are flexible around scheduling, and have lived with couples from NZ, US, UK, Germany, France, Canada, Czech, Italy; we are open to hosting new people. We have found Help Exchange to be a good experience for all involved. I enjoyed participating as a helper during my international travels and loved the experience, We enjoy hosting and meeting travellers.
Please get in contact with any questions. We will arrange a whatsapp video call to discuss.
To let us know you have read the full add, please share what you like to eat for Breakfast :)
Postcode: 3130 (Blackburn South, Victoria)
Not a backpacker? That's ok. We accept applications from Australian citizens, permanent residents, international students as well as working holiday visa holders. If you are qualified for this position, please register and apply via the form below.
Login or Register to Apply Online
Not already a member? Register for free and create your online resume to apply. If you are already registered or have applied for a vacancy before, you can login below.
Member since: May 2019