Study in Australia

Free Consulation

Get a free course consulation thanks to our partners GoStudy

GoStudy Australia

Convert your Working Holiday Visa to an Internation Student Visa

Backpackers Guide to Studying in Australia

Living, working and studying in Australia offers so many benefits, so it's not hard to see why more people are looking to make the move down under. If you're currently on a work holiday visa and are interested in attending university in Australia, then you'll be pleased to know the process is fairly straightforward. What's more, there are many different courses available at both the postgraduate and undergraduate levels, so there's bound to be something that suits you. Carry on reading to find out more.

What is the international student visa?

The Student visa (subclass 500) allows travellers to remain in Australia for up to 5 years for the purpose of studying at an approved institution. It's possible to apply for this visa online both in and outside of the country.

What does this visa allow me to do?

As well as studying full-time at an Australian university or other higher education institution in the country, your visa allows you to:

  • Work part-time alongside your studies
  • Travel in and out of Australia as often as you like
  • Include family members in your application (your partner and children)

Are there any restrictions on a student visa?

There are a few restrictions on this student visa, which are:

  • You must be studying full-time
  • You must be covered by health insurance
  • You have to pass an IELTS test beforehand to show evidence of your English language skills
  • You must meet health and character requirements
  • You require enough money for the duration of your stay
Study In Australia

How do I transition from a working holiday visa to an international student visa?

Luckily, making the transition from a working holiday visa to an international student visa is fairly straightforward, and you don't even need to leave the country to do so! You just need to make sure you complete the process online before your current working holiday visa expires (your new visa should be processed within four to six weeks). To apply for the Student 500 visa, you'll need confirmation of enrolment (CoE) on a registered course (the education provider must be registered with CRICOS). This document provides proof of your course, its start and end dates, as well as your fees.

How much does the visa cost?

The cost of the Student visa 500 starts at around AUD $630 for the main applicant. Note: a charge will apply for each additional family member on the visa application.

What courses can I study?

1. English language courses

If you're looking to improve your English skills, you can study English language courses under the Student 500 visa. These are designed to help improve your writing, reading, listening and speaking abilities. The cost of an English language course depends on where you study, how long the course lasts and what type of qualification you get at the end. Some incorporate other elements of learning too, such as history, so you can still improve your knowledge in other areas alongside your speaking and writing skills.

2. VET - Vocational education and training

VET stands for vocational education and training qualification and is not a university degree. These programs are more practical based and get students ready for employment in specific industries such as agriculture and hospitality management. They are often taught by industry experts rather than academics. A VET qualification may also lead to job opportunities upon the completion of your studies, so they are a great option if you are interested in staying in Australia once your study visa expires.

3. University courses - undergraduate or postgraduate study

With a Student 500 visa, you can also complete an undergraduate, masters or PhD level program at an approved university. However, you must undertake your studies in one of the following:

  • Education (Bachelor)
  • Social Work (Bachelor)
  • Nursing (Post-Registration) (Bachelor/Master)
  • Information Technology (Bachelor/Master)
  • Accounting (Bachelor/Master)
  • Business (Bachelor/Master)
  • Engineering (Bachelor/Master)
  • Environmental Science (Bachelor/Master)
  • Medical Research (Master)
  • Health Professional (Master)

Similar to the VET qualification, degree holders may be eligible for temporary or permanent work once their studies are complete.

How much are course fees?

In Australia there are different types of studies and these are the average prices:

VET: Private schools that offer Vocational and English courses: Approximately $6,000 to $15,000 AUD per year.

TAFE: Schools financed by the government, which are more expensive than VET, but offer better quality of studies. $12,000 to $18,000 AUD per year.

UNIVERSITY: Programs like Bachelors and Masters are in this category. Generally, from $18,000 to 50,000 AUD per year.

International Student Visa 500

We hope this post has given you an idea of how easy it is to get started on your journey towards studying abroad. For more information, speak to us today.